According to popular belief, the Mind, at birth, is just like a ‘blank slate’ – a Tabula Rasa. It is the embedding of our experiences, beliefs, impressions and sensory perceptions that help to mould and develop the mind, as per what we know it to be today – these ‘mental processes or structures’ make us into the people that we finally become.
In short, by understanding the mind, one can understand better the person in a global sense – the overall manner in which he/she thinks; his/her words and consequent actions. Let us try to understand how this fact is made possible for all of us.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopaedia
Tabula rasa is the theory that individuals are born without built-in mental content, and therefore all knowledge comes from experience or perception. Epistemological proponents of tabula rasa disagree with the doctrine of innatism which holds that the mind is born already in possession of certain knowledge. Wikipedia
Learn to pronounce
- the theory of knowledge, especially regarding its methods, validity, and scope, and the distinction between justified belief and opinion.
What is Tabula Rasa in Psychology?
Locke (17th century)
In Locke’s philosophy, tabula rasa was the theory that at birth the (human) mind is a “blank slate” without rules for processing data, and that data is added and rules for processing are formed solely by one’s sensory experiences. Wikipedia
13 Incredible Facts to Help You Unleash the Power of Your Mind
The road to evolution starts with understanding the power of your mind.
Irrespective of their current circumstances, they believe in themselves. For they speak only of what they want in life, feed their mind with positive news, surrounded by inspirational people thereby attracting amazing experiences.
Conversely, the rest of society imprison themselves, creating four walls around them. Every thought creates misery, replaying sad stories, reciting the same script like a record continuously playing time after time. Stories that inform the world of their scarcity thinking, complaining and choosing to blame others for their general lack in life.
There are so many incredible facts about your brain that I would love to share with you. These facts come from Dr Joe Dispenza and his book - Evolve Your Brain – The Science of Changing Your Mind.
- For every thought you have, a surge of electrical currents from your brain release an unknown number of neurochemicals, responsible for the operation of your nervous system. Your body responds to each thought accordingly like a world-class conductor leading a famous orchestra, with everything working in unison from your heart, liver and lungs performing their role with precision.
- What, where, how and the length of time we give attention to something in life, along with our repetitive thoughts forms our neurological wiring.
- Concentrating on pain that exists within your body, sends electrical currents to your mind that continues producing the pain.
- Repetitive thoughts create connections in the brain that quickly become iron clad. These thoughts move from conscious to unconscious ways of thinking and being. That is how we act on auto-pilot.
- The process of change requires forgetting what we know to discover new ways of being. Regular meditation practices accelerates the achievement of this goal and produce visible positive results.
- Learning something new requires considerable energy and our undivided attention. Consider when you first learnt to drive a car, the level of attention you possessed compared to that of an experienced driver who is primarily operating on auto-pilot. We have the ability to alter who we are with every new piece of information that we learn. By combining this new information with practical application, a new experience is brought to life. We invoke greater levels of change, the more we repeat this process.
- Our life-long repetitive negative thoughts are significant contributors to stress and disease within the body. Stress causes us to live in‘survival‘ state which negatively changes our internal state and exhausts our body. In turn, generating adverse responses including: anger, depression, misery or confusion. When we are in this state, it can be likened to behaving like a bird trapped in a cage or a prisoner held captive, we fail to see the possibilities for our life. This is how people become ‘stuck’ for their consistent emotional state is highly addictive resultant of the production of neurochemicals.
- There are 4 main regions in the brain. The frontal lobe is the most malleable part of the brain responsible for decision making. The cerebral cortex or neocortex is responsible for our ‘free will’. It stores 90% of the our brain’s neurons and manages information, attention, awareness, thoughts, language and recordings of our knowledge and experiences. The parietal lobe processes sensory information with the temporal lobe controlling smell, sounds, speech and vision.
- Our genes impact our behavior yet research demonstrates that we can produce positive changes. In 1942, Conrad Waddington introduced the term‘Epigenetics‘, which is the impact of genetics on development. Those successful in creating change, studied others via education utilizing books, movies and inspirational people to develop new thoughts and create new ways of being. Visualization is a powerful tool used to stimulate the brain to generate strong mind-body connections.
- Our state of being consists of our repetitive cycle of our constant thoughts combined with the production of chemicals within our body which generates our emotions. This repetitive cycle has a direct impact on our behavior.
- To change our reality and heal our bodies the secret ingredient lies in making up our mind to do so. We have the ability to fully recover and change our external circumstances exactly like those patients who are told they would never walk again yet do so, sport stars who suffer from irreversible injuries yet fully recover, or those who have suffered a life-threatening cancer and a few months later it is no where to be found. They understand the secret is having a powerful intention, believing they have the power to change their circumstances, loads of determination and the will to create what they want in life.
- There is a partnership between acquiring knowledge and our life experiences. Our mind is supplied with knowledge via the brain, whilst our mind elicits our experiences through our body.
To attest this point, Dispenza says: ’Knowledge without experience is philosophy, and experience without any knowledge is ignorance. The interplay between the two produces wisdom’.
13. Wisdom stems from one’s intelligence to comprehend the arrival of one’s emotions derived from our lifelong knowledge, experiences and behaviour.
To change your current reality, you need to shift your state of mind by thinking new thoughts to create new feelings and ways of being.
Irrespective of your genes, it is possible to create a brand new you. Believe that you can and most importantly make up your mind with absolute conviction that what you want is coming to fruition.
AUG 1, 2016
The opinions expressed here by Inc.com columnists are their own, not those of Inc.com
The Power of Your Subconscious Mind – a Summary
By Navin Kumar
About the Book:
The power of subconscious mind book is written by Dr. Joseph Murphy in the year 1963.
By its name, this book explains about the working power of our subconscious mind and reveals how to use your subconscious mind to change your life, to achieve your goals, to be successful, to be rich, to get results you want, to solve your problems, to live a healthy life, get healed from sickness.
Whatever you want in your life, you can get it by using your subconscious mind power.
Now are you wondering what is the subconscious mind and how to use it?
Before diving to it, let us know what is the conscious and subconscious mind.
-Conscious Mind: (Objective Mind)
Your conscious mind is the reasoning mind. You make all your decisions by using your conscious mind. Like choosing your life partner, planning, making decisions.
-Subconscious Mind: (Subjective mind)
Your Subconscious mind works without the help of the conscious mind. It is independent of the conscious mind. As your heart is kept functioning automatically, your digestive functions, blood circulation, breathing are carried by the subconscious mind without the help of your conscious mind.
Now you are clear about the conscious and subconscious mind:
- Your Subconscious mind accepts what is impressed upon it or what you consciously believe.
- It does not argue with you controversially as your conscious mind does, it accepts any kind of thoughts and reacts to it.
- If you have positive thoughts, it will respond positively; if you have negative thoughts, it will respond negatively.
- Your Subconscious mind simply accepts what you give as an input, it does not argue with you.
How the Subconscious mind works:
- The subconscious mind is the principle. It works according to the law of belief.
- Everything that has happened to you, is because of thoughts impressed on your subconscious mind through belief.
“You are the gardener of your subconscious mind; you are planting seeds of thought in your subconscious mind every day. Your subconscious mind will give the results from your thoughts that you have planted”
- Whether you planted positive or negative thoughts in your subconscious mind, you will get a response based on that thought.
- When your thoughts are deposited in your subconscious mind, the subconscious mind will use its power and will respond.
- Whatever you have been in your life, is by your own thoughts.
All your experiences, actions, circumstances of your life are the reflections and reactions of your own thoughts.
Yes, your own thoughts are the reflection of your life. If you are poor, rich, strong, healthy, sick whatever you may be, it is by the thoughts you deposited in your subconscious mind.
By changing your habitual thinking, you will be able to change your life.
How to use the Power of Subconscious mind:
- Let us assume you are traveling by taxi. You want to give correct directions to the driver to reach your spot. If you constantly give wrong directions, you cannot reach your destination and you will fail.
- Like that, you should give correct directions to your subconscious mind without any distraction, so that it will respond to you and you can achieve your desire.
You become what you believe. What you think, you will create.
By using your conscious mind, deposit good thoughts in your subconscious mind habitually – it will respond to you accordingly.
In conclusion, a short message to you all from this author:
As many of you are already aware, this blog site – “Hooked on Inspiration’s Blog” (www.hookedoninspiration.org) was created by this author in 2012 with one single, significant objective in mind – “A Better Tomorrow; a Better Future and a Better World.” This goal is not just a ‘pipe dream’ – it uses various unique and innovative ways to illustrate its objective clearly, in a comprehensive and interesting manner. This site is popular and for good reason – check the ‘Blog Stats’ for yourself, clearly visible in the right-hand column of the site. There are more than 150 blogs on this site, each blog has been posted publicly – I hope my worldwide readers will enjoy perusing them as much as I enjoyed penning them.
Let me begin by stating the obvious: there is no sense in constantly complaining about the sad state of affairs of our world – in this regard, we cannot expect change for the better to come from others; be humble enough to realize that this change must come first from within.
This change for the better is like the Law of Karma. It takes the form of a Rebounding Echo; what you put out to the world is what you will get back in return. Start by thinking Good Thoughts; this leads to speaking Good Words and lastly, it reflects in your actions as Good Deeds.
This is where the psychology of human behaviour comes into play: the moment that you understand why a person talks and behaves in a certain way, it will immediately predict and put into correct focus the appropriate response from you.
Some people will be sorely tempted to say – ‘what sort of illogical, nonsensical talk is this? But let me assure you, this philosophy of life is neither irrelevant nor illogical. In fact, it makes perfect sense – provided one has the courage and strength of character to put it into active practice in one’s day-to-day life. It is simply a matter of discipline, single-minded perseverance, the pursuit of a trained purpose and lastly, it is a matter of hard work and diligence. Allow me to assure you that the ensuing result is truly self-satisfying and rewarding.
From another perspective, many of you will think and say that I am an optimistic fool but I will tell you something: let it be known that this author attempted, several times, to make serious efforts to correct the current circumstances of our lives, with the sole intention of creating better people and consequently, a better world to live in. At the end of the day, there is only so much that I can do to help you – however, if you do not choose to help yourself then, rest assured, that no one can help you in this matter.
This philosophy of thought is based upon one principle and upon one principle alone: “DO UNTO OTHERS AS YOU WILL HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU.”
Kindness begets Kindness; Love begets Love and Respect begets Respect. The list is endless…….
I, myself, try to live my life by these enduring principles. At times, I think that I succeed in this venture but sometimes I do not. I am not, by any means, a perfect person; but I try sincerely to live my life in the way that is correct and appropriate. You should take my advice and do the same – I promise you that it leaves no room for regrets, now or ever.
Let us build together, as One United Force, a Better Tomorrow, a Better Future and a Better World for ourselves – a world where we can all live in perfect harmony and feel so much happier to live in!